Apply for funding
The information below will help you better understand our approach to grant making and our process. We recommend that you read this entire page prior to submitting an application. If you are looking for information on our Leadership Program, please click here.
1. Determine whether your organization is eligible for funding
Organizations eligible to receive funding:
- Registered Canadian charities with a Charitable Registration Number (CRN)
- Educational institutions (primary/secondary/post-secondary)
- Aboriginal groups
2. Determine whether your project is eligible for funding
The Foundation supports a wide range of environmental initiatives, with a primary focus on environmental education and green space programs.
Eligible projects include:
- Schoolyard greening and outdoor classrooms
- Park revitalization & restoration work
- Butterfly gardens & pollinator programs
- Community gardens
- Natural playgrounds (natural play elements only)
- Citizen science projects in public green spaces
- Trail building and restoration
- Neighbourhood park programming
- Recycling/composting programs
- In-class/indoor and outdoor environmental education programming
Please see the FAQ for project-specific eligibility guidelines
3. Determine which of your project expenses are eligible
What We Do Not Fund
Internal or external salaries or other people-costs where they make up more than 75% of the amount requested (includes web design, graphic design, writers, translation, labour, etc.,)
- Capital costs or infrastructure (sheds, gazebos, solar panels etc.)
- Administrative or operating expenses
- Ornamental structures
- Land acquisition
- Expenses related to advocacy activities
- Projects occurring on private land
- Scholarships, grants or bursaries
- Awards and prizes
- Playground equipment
- Mileage, accommodation, meal costs or other travel expenses
- Expenses incurred prior to the application date
- Advertising expenses (print media, radio, online, etc.)
- Postage and shipping costs
- Venue or equipment rentals
- Projects taking place outside of Canada
- Research projects
4. Submit your application for funding prior to the start of your project
Submit your application for funding prior to the start of your project – taking into account when the Regional Advisory Boards meet. Boards cannot provide funding for expenses already incurred.
When planning your project, please keep in mind that TD FEF has set deadlines and response times throughout the year. To ensure timely review of your application, please refer to the following schedule
- January 15th 2018: Submission deadline
- March 2018: Regional Advisory Board Meeting
- April 2018: Applicants notified
Before beginning the application process, please review our FAQ.
5. Submit your funding request and project budget online.
All grant applications must be submitted online.
Once successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic acknowledgment.
Applicants must attach a budget to their application form. Click here for a budget template which you must download to complete your budget and submit along with your application.
TD FEF prohibits discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, veteran status, disability or other characteristic protected by law. You will be asked to indicate whether the projects, programs and activities for which you seek funding comply with TD FEF’s anti-discrimination policy. TD FEF reserves the right to exclude organizations and decline donations, gifts or sponsorships as it deems appropriate.
If your organization is in need of volunteers, please contact your local TD FEF Regional Manager to discuss the TD Volunteer Network – an online system through which charitable organizations can post local volunteer opportunities and TD employees can search and sign up to volunteer with causes they care about.
For 25 years, TD Friends of the Environment Foundation has worked to help protect the environment and green communities across Canada. By donating to TD FEF, you’re directly supporting projects that make a difference in your community.
TD Friends of the Environment Foundation – BN/Registration Number: 133702845RR0001
*Standard wireless carrier message and data rates may apply. All charges are billed by and payable to your mobile service provider.