Apply for funding
Already started an application? Retrieve your saved application here.
The information below will help you better understand our approach to grant making and our process. We recommend that you to read this entire page prior to submitting an application.
We strongly encourage you contact your local TD FEF Regional Manager to discuss your project prior to applying. This will help you develop a strong application. It will also help you understand our goals and funding priorities, as well as your reporting requirements.
If your organization is in need of volunteers, please contact your local TD FEF Regional Manager to discuss the TD Volunteer Network – an online system through which charitable organizations can post local volunteer opportunities and TD employees can search and sign up to volunteer with causes they care about.
Click here to learn more about TD FEF Leadership Grant program, which aims to enhance the organizational capacity of environmental charities by providing funding for both formal and informal training and development opportunities for leaders within these organizations.
Apply for funding
1. Determine whether your organization and project are eligible for funding
Organizations eligible to receive funding:
- Registered Canadian charities with a Charitable Registration Number (CRN)
- Educational institutions (primary/secondary/post-secondary)
- Aboriginal groups
The Foundation supports a wide range of environmental initiatives, with a primary focus on environmental education, urban greening and enhancing biodiversity, and energy conservation.
Eligible projects include:
- Community Gardens*
- Environmental Education Projects*
- Outdoor Classrooms*
- Protection of Endangered Species/Wildlife*
- Recycling/Composting Programs*
- Tree Planting and Urban Naturalization Projects*
- Energy Conservation/Renewable Energy*
- Research Projects*
- Habitat restoration
*Please see the FAQ for project-specific eligibility guidelines
What We Do Not Fund
- Salaries or other people-costs where they make up more than 50% of the amount requested
- Capital costs
- Administrative or operating expenses
- Expenses related to advocacy activities
- Projects occurring on private land
- Scholarships, grants, or bursaries
- Awards and prizes
- Playground equipment
- Mileage, accommodation, meal costs or other travel expenses
- Expenses incurred prior to the application date
- Advertising expenses (print media, radio, online, etc.)
- Postage and shipping costs
- Projects taking place outside of Canada
2. Submit your application for funding prior to the start of your project.
Submit your application for funding prior to the start of your project – taking into account when Regional Advisory Boards meet. Boards cannot provide funding for projects already underway.
Your application should be submitted at least three months in advance of your project start date. For example, if you have a project/program that you would like to launch in November, you would need to submit your application by July.
To ensure the timely review of your application, please refer to the following schedule.
|Application Deadline||Regional Advisory Boards Meet||Applicants Notified|
|February 15, 2015||April, 2015||May, 2015|
|July 15, 2015||September, 2015||October, 2015|
|October 15, 2015||December, 2015||January, 2016|
|February 15, 2016||April, 2016||May, 2016|
3. Submit your funding request and project budget online.
All grant applications must be submitted online.
Once successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic acknowledgment reply.
Applicants must attach a budget to their application form. Click here for a budget template which you must download to complete your budget and submit along with your application.
Before beginning the application process, you may wish to review our FAQ.
The TD Friends of the Environment Foundation (TD FEF) prohibits discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, veteran status, disability or other characteristic protected by law. You will be asked to indicate whether the projects, programs and activities for which you seek funding comply with TD FEF’s anti-discrimination policy. TD FEF reserves the right to exclude organizations and decline donations, gifts or sponsorships as it deems appropriate.
4. All grant recipients must submit impact reports within 12 months of notification of their approval.
Applicants will receive a copy of the impact report they will be required to complete at the time funding approval is communicated.
Grant applicants will automatically receive a system-generated email containing a link to an online impact report form within 30 days of grant approval. A reminder email will be sent a month before your impact report is due.
For 25 years, TD Friends of the Environment Foundation has worked to help protect the environment and green communities across Canada. By donating to TD FEF, you’re directly supporting projects that make a difference in your community. TD Friends of the Environment Foundation – BN/Registration Number: 133702845RR0001